The demineralized water process and how to turn your tap water into it.
To produce demineralized water, the “Edfo”-method was developed. It is a quite complicated scientific process, during which different resins are used. These resins cleanse tap water of pollutants and filter out salts, minerals, iron, manganeses, hydrogene sulphide, hardness ions (calcium & magnesium) and dust particles. Normal tap water is transformed into demineralized water. Use the WP78-saleskit and start with the demineralized water process!
What you need for your the demineralized water process:
How to make your own demineralized water and what is needed? The complete WP78-saleskit comes with two tubes and a tube holder. One of the tubes needs to be placed into the saleskit. The saleskit is equipped with a wall clip, to help attach it to the wall, close to your cold water tap.
To produce demineralized water, you will need to connect the WP78-saleskit to your cold water supply, using the special hose tail provided.
The water tap should be opened, causing the tap water to flow through the WP78. The resins inside the tube will remove mineral salts like calcium, iron, magnesium, nitrates, chlorides, sulfates and carbonates. The hose tail makes sure the rate of flow is right and determines the amount of demineralized water that is being produced.
After installing a new tube, make sure you don’t use the first 1.5 litres of produced demineralized water. This first amount might not quite meet the requirements and quality checks yet. After leaving the first 1.5 litres, you can tap fresh demineralized water whenever you like.
During the demineralized water process, the resins in the tube will change color from green to blue. It is a color indicator and a quality check, that will help you see if the demineralized water meets the requirements and is of the quality it should be.
When the resins are saturated and exhausted because of the many times they have cleansed your tap water, you will need to replace the tube. It no longer produces demineralized water that meets the requirements and is of the right quality.
When the demineralized water is no longer of the right quality and when the active resins in the tube are exhausted, you will need to replace the tube. These can be reordered.
Some examples of demineralized water application:
- Autoclaves and sterilizers are filled with demi-water by supplier mediqmedeco
- The computer industry (cooling)
- Printing businesses use it for their offset printing technology to reduce IPA reduction / concentration. Read more about this in arbocatalogus grafimedia
- During Fork-lift truck maintenance work, batteries are topped up with demi-water
- General practitioners use demi-water to clean their instruments using an autoclave
- Instrument makers
- Boiler feedwater
- Coloring of blood marks. Leuco Crystal Voilet
- Artificial insemination (AI stations) use it for semen preparation of cattle, pigs for example.
- Producing of wine. Wineshop Domaine du Tariquet writes about the usage of demi-water.
- It’s used in measuring equipment for calibration and cleansing
- Rinse baths in optical industry
- Electronics industry
- Photo industry
- Glass industry
- Window-cleaners use it for cleaning without streaks
- It’s used in cooling emulsion manufacturing for drilling and cutting oil in the metalworking industry and used as cooling lubricant
- Monument preservation (rinsing out of salts)
- Dentists cleanse their instruments using demi-water and an autoclave
- Technical research in museums
- It’s used for topping up traction batteries with demi-water. Read here how to top up a battery with demi-water.
- Ultrasone cleansers are filled with demi-water to prevent calcifying of components and products. More info about ultrasone cleansers.
- In the paint industry it is used in a final rinsing session during surface treatments like powder coating and liquid varnishing of metals. It’s also used for rinsing seawater off steel constructions near the coast, where eroding might occur.
- Food industry
- Water cooling for laser cutting. See Trumpf water cutter.
- Water cooling for welding machines
- Hospitals use it to rinse cables patients with haemodialyses.
- Cleansing solar panels
- In the dairy industry it’s used for reagents.